A few years ago, Qualcomm launched the Snapdragon 212 processor for smart speakers. This post has nothing to do with this, but strangely enough, the company has decided to reuse the 212 number in its new Qualcomm 212 LTE IoT modem, „World’s most power-efficient single-mode 3GPP Release 14 NB2 (NB-IoT) modem„, as read.
Qualcomm 212 LTE IoT modem requires less than 1 microamp (1uA) sleep current and has a very low cutoff at system level (on the order of 2.2V) with the ability to adjust energy consumption for various source power levels It is said to support voltage.
Qualcomm 212 LTE IoT Modem specifications:
- MCU Core – Arm Cortex M3 @ up to 204 MHz
- Cellular Connectivity
- 3GPP Rel.14 LTE capabilities: Cat-NB2 with multi-carrier NPRACH and Paging, Cat-NB2 Release Assistance Indication (RAI), Cat-NB2 with larger TBS and 2 HARQ processes
- Peak Speeds – DL: 127 kbps; UL: 158.5 kbps
- Frequency Bands (700Mhz to 2.1 GHz for global roaming)
- LTE low bands: B5, B68, B8, B12, B13, B14, B17, B18, B19, B20, B26, B28, B71, B85
- LTE mid bands: B1, B65, B70, B2, B25, B66, B3, B4
- Global Emergency Services Support – ECID, OTDOA (LTE-based positioning)
- Network Protocols – IPv4/IPv6 stack with TCP and UDP, TLS, HTTPS, PPP, SSL, DTSL, FTP, ping, HTTTP, MQTT, OMA Lightweight M2M, CoAP
- I/O Interfaces – 2x I2C, 2x SPI, 3x UART, up to 26 GPIOs, 4-channel ADC
- Security – Hardware-based Crypto Engine, Secure Key provisioning, Secure Boot
- Integrated Chipsets
- Qualcomm 9205 baseband IC
- SMB231 charger IC
- PME9205 power management IC
- SDR105 radio transceiver and front-end IC
- WCD9306 audio codec IC
- Supply Voltage – 2.2V to 4.5V
- Temperature Range – -40 to 85°C
- Package – < 10x10mm
Industrial use of LTE modems
With Compute Module 3+ options from Raspberry Pi, TECHBASE upgraded their ModBerry 500/9500 industrial computers. From now on the ModBerry 500/9500 can be supported with extended eMMC, up to 32GB. Higher memory volume brings new features available for ModBerry series. ModBerry supports wide range of industrial grade extension cards, i.e. wireless modems with 3G/LTE, NarrowBand-IoT, LoRa, Wireless M-Bus, ZigBee, WiFi, Bluetooth and many more.
Higher performance of ModBerry 500/9500 with extended eMMC flash memory, up to 32GB , powered by quad-core Cortex A53 processor allows the device to smoothly run Windows 10 IoT Core system, opening up many possibilities for data management, remote control and visualisation.