The new NanoPi R2S is based on the Rockchip RK3328 processor, adding system memory, including 1 GB DDR4 RAM, and is designed to support 4G LTE via the Huawei 8372H-155 USB dongle. R2S is equipped with two Gigabit Ethernet ports (with one deployed for WAN and the other for LAN). This board can surely be used in industrial and Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
Most features resemble an update, but NanoPi R2S does not have built-in Wi-Fi for unknown reasons and certainly seems to be a downgrade. However, instead of built-in WiFi, friendlyELEC recommends using the RTL8821CU USB dongle, which is immediately supported with the default firmware.
NanoPi R2S specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3328 quad-core Cortex-A53 @ 1.5 GHz with Arm Mali-450MP2
- System Memory – 1GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage – MicroSD Slot, SPI flash footprint
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet (WAN) up to 941 Mbps (measured)
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet (LAN) up to 941 Mbps (measured) via Realtek RTL8153 USB 3.0 to Ethernet controller
- USB – 1x USB Type-A host port, 1x micro USB port (power + slave)
- Debugging – 3-pin 2.54mm pitch header for serial console
- Expansion – 10-pin GPIO header with GPIOs, I2C, UART, IR_Rx, 5V, 3.3V and GND
- Misc – 3x LEDs (WAN, LAN, SYS), K1 reset button, fan header
- Power Supply – 5VDC/3A via micro USB port
- Dimensions – 55.6 x 52mm
- Temperature Range – -20℃ to 70℃
Industrial use of previous OrangePi development boards
Introduced in November 2017, the ModBerry M300 series, based on NanoPi NEO revolutionised the economic segment of Industrial IoT devices and proved, that automation and monitoring can be done effectively with low expenditure on industrial installations.
ModBerry M300 O1 based on OrangePi Zero Plus features Allwinner H5 (Quad-core Cortex-A53) SoC, moderate 512MB RAM, storage memory option with microSD slot, USB and Gigabit Ethernet port. The wireless communication is supported with onboard Wi-Fi module.
Offering much higher performance and wider feature range, the ModBerry M300 O2 features same SoC as M300 series, but thanks to OrangePi Zero Plus2 means, the device is equipped with onboard 8GB eMMC, extra microSD expansion slot as alternative and wired/wireless interfaces, e.g. HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0.