Bulgarian open equipment specialist, Olimex, has started stocking compact modules to add Low-Power NarrowBand-IoT (NB-IoT) connectivity (LPWAN) to the project: the NB-IoT-BC66 family.
NB-IoT is low power wide area networking technology which uses existing GSM LTE technology and has many advantages versa LoRa,” the company explains. “GSM network quality of service; single GSM cell can talk to up to 100,000 devices; high; communication speed 25.5kbps up and downlink; secure communication using LTE encryption; better range than LoRa both in urban and rural area (* depend on cell operating frequency – best range is on 850MHz.)Source: https://olimex.wordpress.com/2020/04/07/new-nb-iot-bc66-modules-with-size-only-26×26-mm-contain-everything-you-need-to-add-nb-iot-functionality-in-your-next-project/
Olimex has launched four NB-IoT breakout boards. They are all based on the Quectel BC-66 module. NB-IoT-BC66 is the basic model, NB-IoT-BC66-ANT includes an attached GSM antenna, NB-IoT-BC66H contains a pre-soldered header, NB-IoT-BC66 and NB-IoT-BC66H-ANT combines both a soldered header and an attached antenna.
Olimex BC66 breakout board’s features and specifications:
- NB-IoT Connectivity
- Quectel BC-66 with worldwide GSM bands coverage
- 25.5 kbps uplink and downlink
- nano SIM card slot
- u.FL antenna connector + optional antenna
- I/O Expansion – 3x 10-pin header either unpopulated or fitted with male headers; Level shifters for 5x GPIOs, I2C, SPI, UART
- Misc – Status LEDs
- Power Supply –
- Dimensions – 26×26 mm
NB-IoT used in industrial solutions
One of many uses of NarrowBand-IoT wireless modems can be communication of edge devices, dedicated to data management, process control (e.g. with MQTT protocol) and monitoring. Latest ESP32-based eModGATE controller from TECHBASE company is a series utilizing MicroPython environment to provide data management solutions for end-points applications. The eModGATE has built-in Wi-Fi/BT modem and can be equipped with additional NarrowBand-IoT modems
eModGATE eqipped with wireless NB-IoT modem are perfect for industrial automation solutions, e.g. data logging, metering, telemetrics, remote monitoring, security and data management through all Industrial IoT applications.
- Global-Band LTE CAT-M1: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B8/B12/B13/B18/B19/B20/B26/B28/B39;
- Global-Band LTE CAT NB-IoT1: B1/B2/B3/B5/B8/B12/B13/B17/B18/B19/B20/B26/B28;
- GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900Mhz Control Via AT Commands
Supported data transfer:
- LTE CAT-M1(eMTC) – Uplink up to 375kbps, Downlink up to 300kbps
- NB-IoT – Uplink up to 66kbps, Downlink up to 34kbps
- EDGE Class – Uplink up to 236.8Kbps, Downlink up to 236.8Kbps
- GPRS – Uplink up to 85.6Kbps, Downlink up to 85.6Kbps