IoT market ofers wide range of small and efficient modules for Home & Industrial Internet of Things applications, equipped with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, such as Espressif’s ESP32 or older ESP8266 modules. Additional Bluetooth 4.2/5.0 is often found on those. Dual-band Wi-Fi, on the other hand, is hard to find on low-budget IoT modules. Here comes Realtek RTL8720DN.
Realtek RTL2720DN module, as a part of AmebaD family, comes with ARM Cortex-M4/M0 wireless MCU with support of 802.11 b/g/n Dual-Band Wi-Fi 2.4GHz / 5GHz and extra Bluetooth 5.0 wireless connectivity.
Realtek RTL8720DN specifications:
- Wireless SoC – Realtek RTK8720DN MCU with KM4 Arm Cortex-M4 core @ 200 MHz and KM0 Arm Cortex-M0 core @ 20 MHz
- 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi 4
- Frequency Range – 2.412-2.484GHz & 5.180-5.825GHz
- Data Rates
- 802.11a: 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps
- 802.11b: 1,2,5.5,11Mbps
- 802.11g: 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps
- 802.11n: MCS0–MCS7 @ HT20/HT40 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
- AP, Station, AP/Client supported
- Bluetooth 5.0 LE
- Receiver Sensitivity: -92 dBm
- Transmit Power: 7 dBm
- Antenna – IPEX connector or PCB Antenna
- I/O – 16x castellated holes with GPIO, 2x UART (AT commands + serial), ADC, I2C, SPI, 4x PWM, 3.3V, GND
- Power Supply – 3.3±5% V
- Dimensions – 24 x 16 x 3 mm
- Temperature Range – Operating: -20°C to 85°C; storage: -40°C to 125°C
- Relative Humidity – 10%~90% (non-condensing)
- Certifications – FCC, CE, SRRC, RoHS
Bluetooth 5.0 update for ESP32
The Espressif’s flagship ESP32 chip recently passed the SIG Bluetooth LE 5.0 certification. This confirms that the version of the protocol supported by the ESP32 microcontroller has been upgraded from Bluetooth LE 4.2 to Bluetooth LE 5.0, which is more stable and compatible.
The implementation and development of the Bluetooth LE (BLE) application requires not only a system that supports this function, but also an attached Bluetooth LE protocol stack consisting of a driver and a host.
Thanks to Bluetooth LE 5.0 certification, ESP32 SoC not only updates the system as a whole, but also adds new features that improve the latest software after passing more stringent tests than previous certification.
Industrial use of ESP32-based solutions
One of industrial IoT devices, supporting Espressif’s ESP32 technology is eModGATE from TECHBASE. Economical, ESP32-based solution can serve as an end-point in any installation or works well as a gateway, gathering data from scattered sensor mesh across the installation. For more information check Industrial IoT Shop with all the configuration options for eModGATE.